Tuesday, February 17, 2009

today's rant: the way people treat their children

Ok, this memory has been haunting me so I'm gonna get it on the blog.

I was eating lunch at an outdoor café (part of a grocery store) anyway, there was a woman with her two boys seated near me. The boys were about 12 and 2 (interesting).

Mom wanted them to share a Yoo-Hoo. The 12-year old was going to get the Yoo-Hoo bottle and the-2 year-old was going to get a little plastic cup.

Well DUH! The 2-year-old wanted the glass bottle too. It's not rocket science.

He proceeded to throw a tantrum AS ALL 2-YEAR-OLDS do. (I am not a mom, yet this IS something I do know to be true).

Well, this mom starts yelling at the little one, tells him he is a naughty boy and she "can't stand the sight of him" and sends him to the other side of the patio. ("Scared for life" is what I was thinking.)

Yes, the thought did cross my mind: Kidnapping.

I just sat there a cried when I wanted to go get the little one and share my lunch with him.

This drama just broke my heart.

----------------------------------------

Now, for something a former friend said to me. She has 2 boys, and one day she was complaining about all the yelling and fighting and I said something like try to see them for the blessings that they are, this too shall pass.

Well she sent me a nasty email and told me I was blessed to not have children among other things.

I replied that she was sorely mistaken and that she is the one who is blessed.

She responded that she felt sorry for any child that I adopted.

It was at this point that I severed all ties and started praying for her boys.

Of course, this makes me think "what did I do wrong" that women who treat their children as anything less than blessings get to have children in the first place and I don't....

----------------------------------------

Why why why don't people who've had children so easily not see them for the blessings that they are. How can they take these little innocent ones for granted? How can they possibly think their lives are worse than mine.

Whenever someone tells me how bad it is having children, my reply is "consider the alternative: my life, childless." It's not for sissies.

----------------------------------------

Now, my infertility friends who have been blessed with children (one way or another) they all see and treat their children for the blessings that they are.

2 comments:

Our Little Blessings said...

I try so hard to remind myself that my children are a blessing. Even when I'm at 3:00am for a feeding and as soon as I get the baby down, the 5yr old gets up. She then decides she's not tired and stays up till 5:00am (nothing like sleeping in a twin bed for almost 2hrs).
Thank you for your post. A good reminder for me!

Anonymous said...

Ick...that "Friend"...yuck....


I can't stand when I see parents treating their kids badly.

I know when I finally get my kids they will be treated so well and appreciated beyond words.