Thursday, February 26, 2009

a guest post: So What Am I?

from my friend and fellow blogger Alicia:

My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for six and a half years. Coupled with endometriosis, infertility and miscarriages, we have yet to have a child.

Fertile people just don't get it. They say the most ignorant things. These are called platitudes. Statements that they make that are meant to make me feel better, but only makes them feel better and me feel worse. A platitude I often get is, "At least you're not infertile. You can get pregnant!"

Okay, great. So it's been six and half years and we still don't have a child to call our own after all this heartache, and you think you make me feel better by reminding me that I have been pregnant and lost those babies?

So this makes me wonder. What am I? If I'm not infertile because I can get pregnant (which ends in miscarriage) and I still don't have a baby after all these years, then what am I?

Alicia
www.yayastuff.blogspot.com


Thank you Alicia. I'm touched and honored that you wanted to post on my blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me guest blog on your blog here!

Stacy Uncorked said...

I Love Alicia (aka Yaya)! :)

Wow, she really does bring up a valid point... I was never really considered 'infertile', though I was told at a fairly young age (26) that I would not be able to conceive 'normally', and should I opt for IVF, I would be rife with complications and bed rest for 6 months of pregnancy... The times I did get pregnant 'normally' ended in miscarriages, until my miracle baby. So really, if one were to 'categorize' people like us, what category do we really 'fit' in?

Jeanne said...

Julie,

Thank you for sharing Alicia's story here. Alicia's thought-provoking writing style, candid emotions, and brilliant insights make her writing compelling for me, no matter what the topic.

When I read her thoughts about endometriosis, infertility, and miscarriages... it breaks my heart.

Alicia helps so many by sharing her experiences and making others feel less alone.

Thank you!

Jeanne