Thursday, April 30, 2009

are these my kids

Got a call from our SW yesterday asking if we are interested in a sibling group of three. Don't know where if came from but I said YES!

One 6-year-old boy, and 4-year-old boy/girl twins!

It is a foster to adopt situation.

The birth parents rights were terminated when the twins were born. They have been in foster care as far as I know.

The past 15-18 months they have been with a single mom who was planning to foster/adopt all three.

All three were removed from her care recently when she bit the little girl, trying to teach her not to bite. Seems it was a pretty bad bite and preschool reported it.

She never wanted the little girl, just the boys, so the little girl has been neglected. All three suffer from anxiety.

We are being considered as foster to adopt parents. Never thought we'd consider three and couldn't understand why SW would call us with this situation. She explained that with foster to adopt, we'd receive a stipend for each child until age 18, no matter when adoption is finalized. Also, each child would receive medicaid until adoption is finalized.

I have looked into preschool for the twins, and the 6-year-old could go to my parent's house after school.

I'd researched car seats and which would fit three in our Jeep Liberty. Depending on the weight of the twins, they might be able to sit in booster seats.

I want to be prepared if we are interviewed, I want to have the answer for how will you manage with three children when you've never had one.

I have opened my heart to these three kids. I've not seen a photo, but I do know their names.

I suffer from anxiety as do these kids. I am in recovery. I feel I could help them due to my experience.

I can't help wondering: are these my kids?

(if you are wondering why I'm posting this hear and not on my adoption journey blog, it's because some family and friends don't want to know until something's almost final, but I feel the need to blog about it.)

It's funny, I was so intent on a newborn, but it's not that I changed my mind, it's that I changed my heart.

2 comments:

Our Little Blessings said...

Oh my goodness, three. I like how you said that you have changed your heart not your mind.

Sounds like the kiddos need some extra loving.

Stephanie said...

I agree with the other comment that it sounds like these kids need extra loving--and I think you would be perfect for that! OMGosh a 6 year old and two 4 year olds!!! Your house will be busy in a flash! Those are such fun ages!