Thursday, June 4, 2009

think before you speak

When people hear we are waiting to adopt, the reactions vary. But, quite often I get a little mini-lecture on why I don't want a girl or why I don't want a boy. What in the world?!?! People please, do you really not recognize the blessing that each and every child is? O M G !

I do occasionally get the mini-lecture on why I do want a girl or boy, but these are rare.

Then there is the ever-present "you can have mine" response, to which I always answer "OK!" This REALLY catches people off guard.

But why why why do people feel the need to tell me why I don't want children, would they do that to a pregnant woman? I think not.

4 comments:

Bri said...

Ugghhh!! I HATE that stuff!

Anonymous said...

I HATE the 'you can have mine' comment. My boss says it and it really upsets me.

But what bothers me the most since we started the adoption process is the common response we get that eludes to the fact that we are doing this for some great charity benefit or something. 'Oh GOOD for you! What a GOOD person you are to do that!' Ummm sure I guess??

Ready To Be A Momma said...

Next time someone tells you that you can have their children, come back and ask what the funny part of the situation is that you can't have kids or they don't like there own?? I think that would stop that one... Just wish I had the nerve to actually say that sometimes!

Mom of Snooch said...

I don't get that either. I'm fortunate to have my child and I won't even let Grandma take her! In her 27.5 months of life outside my womb, I have spent only ONE night w/o her. The thought of "You want mine?" never enters my mind. Even on her grumpiest days. I like Julie's reply of "yes." In fact, she keeps trying to steal my kid! JK!!! Love ya, Jules.