Monday, June 8, 2009

9 years?

NINE YEARS!

Where did it go? I'm just realizing (after recovering from an 8+ year anxiety/depression stuper) that we've lost 9 years of our lives waiting for our child.

The only real vacation we've had in that time is a trip to England to visit my inlaws. Now we are panicking thinking we may never have the chance to go on a relaxing vacation together, just us two.

For years we lived month to month waiting for a pregnancy, and waiting for a pregnancy to last.

Waiting takes a lot of time and energy, so much else, that I'm just realizing I haven't done anything for nine years but work and wait. This is not good for anyone's sanity, no wonder I ended up with severe anxiety and depression.

We were told one to two years to adopt, and our one year is almost up, I think that's why I'm panicking. Because I'm feeling we MUST be closer to having a child and being a family. And then yes, everything will be about the child. So right now, we feel like we need to do stuff for us, if that makes any sense at all.

So right now we are like, where could we go for just four days. We looked at a place 2 hours away and it was gonna be $1000 for TWO NIGHTS, yes, THREE zeros. So then we were like, what about an all-inclusive place, just get away and relax. Those are just WAY out of our price range.

Then I'm like what are we thinking. We could have to go across the country more than once to meet a child before we adopt, we can't go anywhere.

So here we are, life on hold.

Anyone else have this problem? How did/do you deal?

3 comments:

Bri said...

We just took a lot of mini vacations... trip to the lake, ski trip, camping trip, etc. It helped with our sanity for sure, but not our bank account!

Anonymous said...

Yup, exact problem. Never planning things 'in case' we're pregnant. And now it'll be 7 years of doing nothing because of the 'chance' of having a baby.

Stephanie said...

We had the same issues. Can't buy this, don't do that. It wasn't just going places, it was everything! Like what not to eat, what not to do, it was crazy. I hate having to put life on hold and I think that it what finally pushed dh over the edge of "NO MORE!!!"

I have no idea where you are (and it seems like I should haha!), but one of the things we have done is just simply getting a hotel room in one of the cities surrounding our capital city. For instance, we stayed at this one hotel in Plainfield (I'm in Indiana BTW). It is just outside of Indianapolis, so it still felt like we were out of town. Anyways, the hotel had a special with a winery that is next door. We got to spend some time sampling wines and then had a $40 gift card to spend there. There are lots of little specials that hotels in smaller cities have. Call around and see what you can find!