Wednesday, June 3, 2009

the bitching post

Alrighty then, I contacted our social worker yesterday to find out the status of the 12 kids I have identified. I was prompted to do so because I received an email from one of the kid's social workers saying that they were no longer accepting home studies. Hmmmm. Our home study was supposed to have been sent weeks ago.

As, I said I emailed our social to inquire about the status. In the mean time I called the above mentioned social worker to see if she'd received our home study. She had not.

I called another child's social worker, same thing, she had not received our home study report and they we not longer taking home study reports.

WTF!

So, I email our social worker again (emailing because I'm at work and should probably be working). She proceeds to tell me that I've sent her so many emails she hasn't been able to keep up. I remind her that she said that 2 weeks ago so I sent her my spreadsheet that lists the kids names, ages, states, any contact info. I also asked her if she needed anything from me.

No reply.

So yesterday she says maybe we should have a plan. Um, you are a social worker, haven't you done this before? This is my first adoption!

So she admits that she hasn't been sending out home studies for all the kids I've identified. aaarrrrggggggg!

She says she "may have lost track."

We cannot change social workers because that means we'd have to do another home study - back to square one.

I want to cry.

5 comments:

Mom of Snooch said...

I just continue to be aghast at the horrible care you have received from this SW. I know you are in a tough spot, b/c you are relying on her to help you through this process and you don't know if she would be vindictive if you confronted her. But I also would like to believe (as a SW myself) that she would feel terrible if she really understand (through appropriate feedback) how her shoddy performance has impacted your life and your struggle to expand your family.

Worst case scenario: once you have a child/children and are done with her: write a letter to the agency director about her!

Stephanie said...

I can't believe that she would be so irresponsible! I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this situation. Hopefully it all gets taken care of and I agree with snooch...talk to her in person if you can and also ask that the director is there so that you can get it all straightened out right away.

Bri said...

Ahhh... the all too common SW issues. It seems to be a pretty familiar trend in the adoption world. I have no advice on that... I did nothing and it seemed to work itself out, but that isn't what I wanted to do. you aren't alone, though. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely crazy. It's her job to represent you and help you to find a forever child. I can't believe that she thinks you are emailing too much, it's part of the process and it should show her just as much you care about this process. Sending such a detailed spreadsheet should leave no room for question. I would definitely be discussing this with a supervisor if it were me. She's not performing up to par and in the process it could have cost you the opportunity to adopt multiple children!

Kgerl said...

I am a social worker and do some work in the field of adoption. I think you need to have a very frank conversation with her. Also, consider speaking with her supervisor if she does not make some changes. BTW, I don't see how changing workers would require a new home study. The home study should stand as is.